Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dentist Check-Up!



Emma had a check up at the dentist today... First the good news. She was a GREAT patient. None of the hesitation or fear of last time. She was very complaint and did wonderfully. Now the bad news. My poor baby has inherited my horrible teeth. Apparently she is just very prone to decay & cavities, just like her mama and in addition to that, we have not been brushing & flossing thoroughly enough. So it turns out she has at least 2 very pronounced cavities, one of which is deep enough that the dentist suspects it goes to the nerve. There is no way she can sit still for them to take care of these problems, so we are going to have to sedate her with local anesthesia. While she is asleep, they will do a root canal on one tooth, fill the second cavity, do complete X-rays (which they weren't able to get up to now because her mouth is so small and she keeps gagging on the bite down card), and possibly do some sealants on the top teeth to ward off decay there, if there isn't some already. I'm a bit nervous for this whole procedure and I'm sure Emma would be too, if I had explained it all to her, but I haven't. Yet. I believe in being honest with her and I will explain the general gist of it all but probably not until the night before or the morning of her appointment. No sense in her worrying for the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment